With just a few sleeps away until Mother’s Day (the best day of all days…haha) my kids asked me what I would like as gifts from them. Suggestions from my five and seven-year-old ranged from a new big-eye stuffy to perhaps maybe a new hockey card carrying case, or best yet I’d “probably really like a new tablet so we wouldn’t fight over the only one that we have (insert heavy sigh)”.
While I truly do adore the homemade gifts and cards, and yes, I keep them every year, there’s something to be said for a thoughtful gift that revolves around who you are and what you like to do. Personally, I’m a very active Mom, so I thought perhaps a list of gifts active Moms would like to receive on Mother’s Day would help.
Here’s a list you can give to your kids to help guide them on deciding what to get you, you active Mom, this Mother’s Day:
- Music. Sit down and think of fun, energizing songs that you know will get your Mom up dancing and active. Create a new workout playlist (even better, create TWO new playlists) that she can throw on as she goes for her run, lifts weights or does her HIIT workout. Waiting to hear what song you chose next will be half the fun for her…trust me, this is a veeeeery good suggestion!
- Wearables. There are many, many options out there for fitness wearables, so ask questions about what she’d like in a wearable IF she were to receive one. Does she just want to count steps? Does she want to know time, distance, pace? Does it need to be downloadable so she can track progress. Granted, some wearables out there get seriously expensive, but there are some great options for those on a budget. Personally, I truly do love the Fitbit (no, I wasn’t paid to say that…though I wish I was! Ha!). If that’s something that is in your family’s budget, make sure you ask lots of questions and get her new tech that will keep her motivated and inspired!
- Gift cards for new workout clothing or new shoes. Now, you may think that Moms don’t like receiving gift certificates…and well…you’d be wrong (well, most of us love them anyway!). If you get a gift card to our favorite fitness apparel store (HELLO lululemon) or to our local running shoe store, we know you’ve thought about what it is that we like to invest our time and money into. Top Tip: Write on the card that the one stipulation of the gift certificate is that she HAS to spend it on herself. Otherwise…you KNOW she’s going to come back with something for you, kiddos!
- Register in a Mother’s Day Race as a family. There would be no greater gift to me, as an active Mom, than getting out and getting active as a family. If there are no races available for you on Mother’s Day OR you don’t have the money to spend, plan a hike, plan a workout, plan something active to do as a family. Top Tip (and suuuuuper important): DO NOT COMPLAIN. Not a peep. Not a groan. Not a sigh. Not a “are we almost done?!”. Just smiles and happiness and love.
- Create a post-workout goody bag. You know how you like to get a goody bag after birthday parties? Moms like getting those too. Include items like a new water bottle, a new headband, bubble bath, a candle, a bottle of wine (get your parents to help with that) and maybe some essential oil for her bath. If you Mom is super active and you hear her talking about being sore, I also suggest a bottle of massage oil. Personally, I love Soulful Sister’s Muscle Ache (again, not paid to say that, just really love her stuff!). Fill a bag up with a bunch of goodies that will help her recover after a killer workout and BAM…kids of the year!
So, there you have it, kids with active Moms. Five gift ideas that most active Moms would love to receive. Oh and kids, one more Top Tip: one of the best gifts you can give your Mom is a hug, an “I love you”, a “thank you for all you do” and an “I appreciate all you do for us”. Those words motivate us more than any gift. We want to do right by you and make you happy. That’s our job. If we know we’re doing that, we’ll just keep being the best Mommy we can be.
Finally, one last Top Tip: DANCE PARTY! Crank up your Mom’s favorite tunes, turn up the family silly and have fun with your Mom on her special day. That’s really what she wants.